Oncologist Dr Sofia Mpaka studied and received the title of Internist followed by the title of Oncologist at the AUT and in England. She has substantial experience in oncology thanks to her postgraduate studies and her work in Manchester, England. She is involved with all types of cancer and particularly so with urological patients through her association with the U4U urological team.
Academic studies and training
Dr Sofia Mpaka studied at the Medical School of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki from where she graduated in 1993. She received the title of Specialist in Pathology in 2001 and of Oncology in 2005. She was awarded her PhD by the AUT after a dissertation on the ‘Therapeutic Reaction and Correlation with Biological Indexes after Endobronchial Infusion of Interferon-gamma to Patients with Bronchogenic Cancer of the Lung’.
Dr. Sofia Mpaka obtained a Master’s Degree in Oncology and the Management of Health Services in Manchester, England.
From 2001 to 2003 Dr Mpaka was an Honorary Registrar of Oncology in the Christie NHS Foundation Trust in Professor N. Thatcher’s team. During the period 2003 to 2007 she was a Specialist Registrar of Oncology (NT) at the Christie NHS Foundation Trust in Manchester, (a position paid by the Deanery of North West England – Manchester that led to the position of Consultant in Oncology).
During this period Dr. Sofia Mpaka was involved with all types of cancer: breast and ovary cancer, lung, kidney and adrenal glands cancer, GIT, prostate cancer, cancer of the bladder and the testicles, melanoma, high-dose chemotherapy and transplant of peripheral cells and of marrow. From 2017 until today she has a private oncology practice and continues to work with the U4U urology team for oncology cases.
- Member of the Medical Association of Thessaloniki
- Member of GMC (General Medical Council) of England
- Member of the Αssociation of Cancer Physicians (ACP)
- Member of the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- Member of the ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
- Member of the Greek Young Oncologists Association
- Member of the Cochrane Lung Review team
- Member of the IASLC International Association or the Study of Lung Cancer